I don’t normally work with Bulky or Super Bulky Yarns, so when I was walking around Michaels one day and saw the new Red Heart Soft Essentials yarn, yes, I stopped and touched them because, who wouldn’t, but I didn’t grab any. Continued looking at all the other yarns Michaels had to offer, but my mind kept going back to that Soft Essentials Yarn, so I went back, look and ended up picking up a skein…or 7! Wasn’t even sure what I was going to do with it all, but I’d eventually find something!
I set myself a goal at the beginning of the year, to make 50 baby blankets by December 1st to deliver to our local pregnancy center, so that’s what prompted me to come up with this blanket, or coverlet. I call it a coverlet because it’s actually a bit heavier than I’d like for a blanket and would make a pretty coverlet for those baby crib mattresses. For those that don’t have any babies around or don’t have a need for a coverlet, I’ve provided the multiples so that you may make a larger version for yourself or someone else!
- Red Heart Soft Essentials (5)
- J Hook
Multiples: 6 + 2
- Row 1 : [2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc] in 5th chain from hook, *sk 2 chains, 2 dc-cl in next chain, sk 2 chains, [2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc] in next chain; rep from * across to last 3 chains, sk 2 chains, hdc in last chain, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 2, *[ 2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc] in next ch-2 sp, sc in 2 dc-cl; rep from * across to last ch-2 sp, [2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc] in last ch-2 sp, hdc in top of turning chain, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 2, *[ 2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc] in next ch-2 sp, 2 dc-cl in sc; rep from * across to last ch-2 sp, [2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc] in last ch-2 sp, hdc in top of turning chain, turn.
Rep rows 2 and 3 to desired length.
- Slip stitch in next 3 stitches
- Round 1: Working in a multiple of 3 + 2 + corner sts, Sc around.
- Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc), (dc, ch 1, 2 dc in same st) —beg V-st made, skip 2 sts, *[( 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next st, skip 2 sts] to corner st, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in corner st, skip 2 sts; rep from * around, join with slip st to top of ch-3, slip st in next dc and ch-1 space.
- Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc), beg V-st in same space, *V-st in each ch-space to corner group, skip 5 dc, [V-st, ch 1, V-st] in corner ch-space; rep from * around, join with slip st to top of ch-3, slip st in next dc and ch-1 space.
- Round 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), beg V-st in same space, *V-st in each ch-space to corner space, (dc, ch 1, dc) in corner space, rep from * around, ending V-st in last ch-space, join with slip st to top of ch-3.
I hope you enjoy!
The Unfortunately Necessary Fine Print:
These patterns are the sole property of Courtney Carter and Carter Designs. The patterns are not to be copied or resold in any capacity. These patterns are copyrighted by the publisher and designer. Reproduction of this pattern in any form is limited to the use of the purchaser. The patterns, written instructions, graphs, photographs, and figures pictures are intended for personal, NONCOMMERCIAL use and are protected by federal copyright law. The designer asks that you request permission if you intend to sell your finished item from your purchased pattern(s). Courtney Carter and Carter Designs asks that you please reference where you purchased the pattern to your customers on the item page if permission to sell is granted. Reference to use is http://www.crochetingcrazy.wordpress.com. Please respect the copyright on these patterns and do not sell or reproduce to give away without first obtaining permission from the publisher/designer. Your cooperation is always appreciated.