There really was no rhyme or special reason for this newest hat design other than the fact that it’s October and Halloween is on its way. Now, if you ask my son, all the hats I make are for him. If he knows I’m making a hat or sees a finished one, he seeks me out to say, “Who’s that hat for, Mommy?” Or “Did you make that hat for you?” He’s six so it’s totally adorable that he throws those subtle like hints out there at me! Of course he always ends up with the hat, unless it’s too “girly” then he says one of his sisters can have it! Silly kid. Although, he is absolutely knit worthy!
Chunky Pumpkin Hat
- 1 Skein Super Bulky (6) Weight Yarn in Orange
- 1 Skein Super Bulky (6) Weight Yarn in Black
- US11 Double Point or Circular Needles
- 3 Stitch Markers -1 for beginning of round, 2 in another color/style to denote chart stitches
- Tapestry Needle
Gauge: 12 sts x 16 rows = 4 Inches
- Round 6(8, 10) counts as first row of chart
Sizes: Baby(Child, Adult)
- Using Old Norwegian Cast On (or your favorite stretchy CO), CO 40(60, 80), place beginning of round marker, join for working in the round
- Round 1-5(7,9): *K1, P1, Repeat from * around.
- Round 6(8, 10): K10, PM, K15, PM, knit to end.
- Round 7(9, 11)-20(22, 24): K10, SM, work next row of chart, SM, knit to end.
- Continue knitting in the round until hat measures 6.5(7.5, 8.5) inches from CO edge.
- Round 1: *K8, K2tog, repeat from * around.
- Round 2: *K7, K2tog, repeat from * around.
- Round 3: *K6, K2tog, repeat from * around.
- Round 4: *K5, K2tog, repeat from * around.
- Round 5: *K4, K2tog, repeat from * around.
- Round 6; *K3, K2tog, repeat from * around.
- Round 7: *K2, K2tog, repeat from * around.
Leaving a long tail, cut yarn. With a tapestry needle, weave through remaining live stitches and pull tightly to close top of hat. Fasten off. Weave in your ends.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy right?
Until next time,
The Unfortunately Necessary Fine Print: